PROS AND CONS OF ROOF COATINGS
There are numerous roof coatings on the market today. Roof coatings can be applied over metal roofing, foam roofing, low slope roofing and other types of specific roofing. Most roof coatings are manufactured to protect a surface and/or to restore a surface. Roof coating are great in certain circumstances to repair and restore old and slightly damaged roofing membranes.
WHAT ARE THE TYPICAL CONCERNS OR PROBLEMS WITH ROOF COATINGS?
- Roof coatings can be watered down reducing their effectiveness.
- Roof coatings applied over poorly cleaned roofing surfaces can peel and flake.
- Water ponding can damage and break down the roof coating.
- The wrong roof coating may be used. Different roofing membranes require certain types of coatings.
- Roof coatings can fail when applied in severe heat and/or cold conditions.
- Roof coatings are often used to restore roofs that are in need of more detailed repairs prior to coating.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF ROOF COATINGS?
When the proper roof coating is selected and installed correctly roof coatings can provide great value.
- There are no seams or joints which eliminated water leaks unlike your traditional roofing materials.
- It is flexible. Foam roofing can be sprayed onto almost any surface.
- Light weight at only 50 lbs. per square. Foam roofing is much lighter than traditional roofing materials.
- Thermal insulation value at an R-value of 6.6 per 1 inch of thickness.
- Foam roofing has been proven to be long lasting, dependable, and affordable.
HOW DO YOU INSPECT A FOAM ROOF?
Yes, you can walk on a foam roof with no problem. Make sure the roof is clean and free of debris to ensure you can perform a proper inspection. Use a moisture meter if and when needed
- Roof coatings can reduce your roofs surface temperature therefore reducing energy costs.
- The correct roof coating can extend the useful life of the original roofing membrane.
- Roof coatings are formulated to adhere and to be used with a variety of roofing membranes.
- Some roof coatings can be colored to match specific buildings and environment conditions.
HOW DO YOU PROPERLY INSPECT ROOF COATINGS?
Roof coatings in Phoenix do require maintenance and should be inspected annually. Inspect your roof regularly to catch small problems before they become large and expensive problems.
- Check your roof coating for peeling, flaking and other damage which could allow water intrusion issues.
- Keep your roofs coating free of debris, dirt, leaves and tree limbs. Debris traps moisture.
- Look for blisters and any delaminated areas in the coating indicating water is penetrating the coating.
- Remember the outside elements will eventually break down your roof coating reducing the mil thickness and overall effectiveness of the coating.
HOW DO YOU REPAIR ROOF COATINGS?
You can pressure wash the roof coating and apply new coating and/or perform spot repairs with new coating. The key is to select the correct roof coating and apply the coating as specified by the manufacturer.
HOW MUCH DOES ROOF COATINGS COST?
Application of roof coatings can vary depending on a number of circumstances. However, the average cost for a basic application would be around $0.75 to $1.50 per square foot. The type of coating, what you're coating, and the size and difficulty of the roof coating project will affect the cost noted above.
FOAM ROOFING LINKS:
PICTURES OF ROOF COATINGS AND SOME COMMON DEFECTS: